Monday, July 21, 2008

Sponsors are critical to innovation success

The more work I do with customers and innovators, the more evident it becomes - the number one driver for innovation success is a clear sponsor for an idea. Your team can have lots of ideas, many great ideas, a robust system for selection and evaluation, a Stage-Gate process, a significant innovation portfolio, idea campaigns and a culture that sustains innovation. Yet, at the end of the day, any idea that is not sponsored and commercialized is really just pearls before swine.

Let's get down to a few basics - any firm can innovate occasionally, and most can accomplish some forms of incremental innovation. That is, a new idea to extend an existing product or service is accepted and swept into an upcoming product release. What's also clear is that any idea that is not on the product roadmap, or requires much more risk or investment, is much more likely to fall by the wayside in the transition from idea to new product. There is simply too much risk to adopting an idea that your team or organization wasn't requesting and wasn't a part of during the ideation process.

This is one area where open suggestion systems fall apart. Yes, it is easy for many people to submit ideas, and some of them may actually be beneficial. But if no one is willing to adopt and sponsor that idea as part of their new product or service roadmap, few open suggestion ideas will be adopted and commercialized. Open Suggestion models ultimately fall apart because of two big concerns: first, there's little strategic alignment between the ideas and the needs of the business and second, there are few line of business leaders who will adopt the ideas and convert them into commercial products or services.

So, what's needed and what's the "right model"? Well, using our two whipping boys - Google and Apple - we can see that there are several potentially successful models. Apple's model is top down strategic sponsorship - what Steve wants, Steve gets. Few firms can mimic this approach because few have the strategic vision and "guts" it takes to dictate these large bets. But every success (and a few failures) have had Steve's sponsorship and fingerprints. Conversely, Google places hundreds of small bets, and the individual or team that originated the idea must acquire sponsorship from product managers or others to mature the idea. There's no one clear sponsor, instead many different line of business leaders can be a sponsor.

When a firm uses idea campaigns to generate ideas, there's another potential sponsor. The business leader who initiates the campaign should be willing to become the sponsor for any idea that's generated within the idea campaign. After all, he or she was able to define a problem or opportunity that needed to be addressed and was presented with a range of ideas. If the person or team who originates an idea campaign is not willing to adopt or commercialize the ideas, then the process is just an exercise.

We have a concept called "strong sponsorship" or "weak sponsorship". What this means is that an idea may have a sponsor or likely adopter who is seeking more insight and maturity around an idea, and when the idea is "ready" he or she will bring that idea back into their business. Many successful ideas have strong sponsors who are willing to take a risk and implement an idea - often they just need some ownership and visibility to the idea. Conversely, an idea that is offered up but has no clear owner or sponsor will often lag in an idea database. Even very good ideas which don't clearly belong to a group or attract owners or sponsors won't be converted. When this happens, everyone understands the value of the ideas left behind in the idea database and becomes frustrated at the firm's inability to commercialize good ideas.

In the end it will all come down to which ideas gain sponsors, and who is willing to adopt and implement the ideas, converting them into new products and services.
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
posted by Jeffrey Phillips at 10:28 AM

32 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Steve Jobs is an icon to renegade technological guerilla warfare. There is a war on out there that he would be perfect for: http://themicrocosm.wordpress.com/2008/07/21/apple-iwant-a-car/

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jeff, great post as usual. I agree sponsors help innovation succeed. I would suggest that their role is more than just helping support ideas after the ideation exercise. They are also critical before ideation. A good sponsor makes sure the right team is assembled, with the right resources, using an effective innovation process, and focusing on the right business issue. A sponsor who does this is also more likely to support ideas that come out of the intiative.

6:32 PM  
Blogger John said...

Jeff, great post. I'm adding your blog to my list to keep watching. The folks at USC's Stevens Institute turned me onto it.

You might agree that any entrepreneurial team that manages to get a small amount of time to prove an initial case is best competing in the marketplace for resources and sponsorship (more of a Google/IBM approach)? Many "innovation" teams I have worked with become disillusioned when they can't convince someone to sponsor their idea. I say, "Embrace this! If you can't convince a potential sponsor, you either haven't met the right one, or your story isn't there yet." The job of my program is to ensure they meet all the potential sponsors they can find, but we have to let them fail if they convince none of them to take up their cause.

One thing I'm starting to report on http://www.thethreepercent.com is the problem with cases where a sponsor took on a project not out of cold, hard business sense but because they felt obliged to do so. Would you agree sometimes you must be 'cruel to be kind'?

2:22 PM  
Blogger David said...

Are not sponsors limited, the number becoming a constraint to how scaleable innovation is in the organization?

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Prasun Pande said...

Hi !Nice with you ! My name is Prasun Pande, Secy. of an NGO www.ugsworldwide.webs.com and my other websites arehttp:://guitarforfree.webs.com , http://guitarlearningsoeasy.weebly.com , ..thttp://freeguitarmaster.blogspot.com , http://missionutthaan.blogspot.com , http://freengoconsultant.blogspot.com .. I use twitter as @prasunonline and as Prasun Pande on facebook & write for missionutthaan on facebook ... I've invented a guitar & applied for patent for person having only one hand....moreover this guitar hes no wrong-fingering option during chord playing ..applied for patent.......need a sponsor .. .Email me at missionutthaan@hotmail.com .....I will remain your good friend forever!....Use above email address to contact me Plz !..Use to email me regulerly ..as I want to talk to you regulerly....Thanks!

5:02 AM  
Anonymous Invertir en oro said...

Hello friend, I read your post and it seems very interesting, I wish we were in touch, too, can visit my site

1:52 PM  
Anonymous constipation treatment said...

Very nice articles. I’ve discovered your site by Aol and I’m truly completely happy in regards to the data you may have inside your post. By the best way your blogs design is kind of broken with the Chrome internet browser. May be actually great in case you’re can repair that. Anyway maintain in the great function!

1:53 AM  
Anonymous how to stop smoking said...

Very nice articles. I’ve discovered your site by Aol and I’m truly completely happy in regards to the data you may have inside your post. By the best way your blogs design is kind of broken with the Chrome internet browser. May be actually great in case you’re can repair that. Anyway maintain in the great function!

1:53 AM  
Anonymous sinus infection relief said...

Greetings everybody, This webpage is excellent and so is how the matter was expanded. I like a few of the feedback as well though I would prefer we all hold it on subject in order add value to the subject. It is going to be also encouraging to the writer if we all may share it (for a few of us who use bookmarking companies such as a digg, twitter,..).

1:53 AM  
Anonymous penis enlargement pills said...

I like your layout, the truth that your webpage is actually a tad bit unique makes it so useful, I get fully fed up of viewing the same stuff nearly all the time. I’ve I just came upon this web site by you Thanks a lot.

1:53 AM  
Anonymous erectile dysfunction cure said...

I can not cease reading this.It truly is so nice, so full of info that i just did not know.I'm fortunate to view that guests are in truth talking about this problem in this kind of a intelligent technique, displaying us all many different. You are one great blogger. Please preserve it up. I can not wait to go through what’s next.

1:54 AM  
Anonymous natural colon cleanse said...

Hrmm that was bizarre, my comment bought eaten. Anyway I wanted to say that it’s nice to know that another person additionally talked about this as I had bother discovering the same data elsewhere. This was the first place that advised me the answer. Thanks.

1:54 AM  
Anonymous genital warts treatment said...

Thanks very much for this flawless put up;that is the words that retains me on monitor through out the day. I have been wanting around for your site after I heard about them from a buddy and was thrilled after I was able to find it after trying to find long time. Being a avid blogger, I’m glad to see others taking initivative and contributing to the community. Just wanted to comment to point out my appreciation for your website as it is rather difficult to do, and lots of writers don't get credit they deserve. I am sure I’ll go to again and can spread the word to my friends.

1:54 AM  
Anonymous anxiety attacks said...

Hi there!, Very attention-grabbing angle, we had been speaking about the identical factor at work and located your website very stimulating. So simply needed to com-ment an enormous thank you for all your effort. Please sustain the nice work your doing!

1:54 AM  
Anonymous tendonitis cure said...

Thanks for this put up, I've been always searching for this useful articels far and wide but could not discover full data supplied here. thank you. and I'll simply reference a few of you phrases .

1:55 AM  
Anonymous yeast infection home remedy said...

As looking out for quite some time for finding a useful articles or blog posts with regards to this distinctive problem . Researching in Google I lastly found out this weblog post. Reading this So i'm pleased to say that I’ve acquired an amazing impression I came throughout no matter I wanted. I most actually will remember to keep in mind this blog and look constantly.

1:55 AM  
Anonymous server lower back pain said...

As looking out for quite some time for finding a useful articles or blog posts with regards to this distinctive problem . Researching in Google I lastly found out this weblog post. Reading this So i'm pleased to say that I’ve acquired an amazing impression I came throughout no matter I wanted. I most actually will remember to keep in mind this blog and look constantly.

1:55 AM  
Anonymous constipation medication said...

Good data, a number of thanks to the author. It’s puzzling to me now, normally, the usefulness as well as significance is overpowering. Tremendously thanks once more and best of luck!

1:56 AM  
Anonymous genital warts cream review said...

Hi admin – That is surely the excellent searching for blog I have seen. It had been totally easy to understand and it had been straightforward to look with the information which i wanted. Great net design and useful content material materials!

1:56 AM  
Anonymous cholesterol lowering foods said...

Nice points…I would note that as somebody who really doesn’t remark to blogs much (in actual fact, this may be my first submit), I don’t suppose the time period “lurker” could be very flattering to a non-posting reader. It’s not your fault at all, but maybe the blogosphere might provide you with a greater, non-creepy title for the 90% of us that get pleasure from reading the posts.

1:56 AM  
Anonymous stop snoring said...

Good day!, Very interesting angle, we have been speaking about the same thing at work and located your site very stimulating. So simply needed to com-ment an enormous thanks for all your effort. Please sustain the great work your doing!

1:57 AM  
Anonymous anxiety panic attacks said...

When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each time a remark is added I get 4 emails with the same comment. Is there any manner you possibly can take away me from that service? Thanks

1:57 AM  
Anonymous stop premature ejaculation said...

Its Pleasure to go through your weblog.The above content articles could be very excellent, and I genuinely enjoyed studying your blog and factors which you expressed. I enjoy to look back on the standard foundation,publish rather more in regards to the topic.Thanks for sharing…keep writing!!!

1:57 AM  
Anonymous tendonitis exercise said...

We're a bunch of volunteers and beginning a brand new initiative in a community. Your weblog offered us beneficial info to work on. You have executed a marvellous job!

1:57 AM  
Anonymous treatment for insomnia said...

Simply want to say your article is as tonishing. The clearness in your post is simply spectacular and i can assume you're an knowledgeable on this subject. Properly together with your permission enable me to seize your rss feed to maintain updated with forthcoming post. Thanks 1,000,000 and please keep up the gratifying work.

1:58 AM  
Anonymous high cholesterol foods said...

Can I simply speak what a elimination to locate famous person who actually is conversant in what theyre speaking regarding on the web. You completely recognize methods to carry an matter to mild and build it significant. Extra people have to read this plus understand this aspect of the narrative. I cant believe youre not more well-liked since you positively have the gift.

1:58 AM  
Anonymous sinus infection relief said...

After I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when new feedback are added” checkbox and now each time a remark is added I get four emails with the identical comment. Is there any manner you possibly can remove me from that service? Thanks

1:58 AM  
Anonymous how to stimulate hair growth said...

Regards for helping out, excellent information.

4:38 AM  
Anonymous Bra said...

Really great post, Thank you for sharing This knowledge. Excellently written article, if only all bloggers offered the same level of content as you, the internet would be a much better place. Please keep it up!!!

11:32 PM  
Anonymous alat ternak said...

Thanks for the sharing

7:21 PM  
Blogger Mahesh said...

Very useful post! Valuable information and excellent design you got here! I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.
String Bikini

3:33 AM  
Blogger felicity said...

Fascinating article- I must say. So nice to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject.
home treatments for hemorrhoids

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home